Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch

A Girl Like You

A Girl Like You - Gemma Burgess Abigail is a girl coming out of a nasty breakup of a 7 year relationship. But luckily her flatmate Robert is there to help guide her along the way to enjoying her life as a single lady. She goes through life and figures out relationships with men, how to date and be bulletproof, and of course finds love somehow, somewhere.

I actually really loved this book, despite my usual tendencies of rolling my eyes at sugar-laden, fluffy romance books. But something about this book is just fun. The first person point of view makes the book. Seriously. The reason why it all works is because Abigail's voice is so convincing. You take a walk through her shoes, peer through her eyes, and maybe even feel what she does. But even the twists and turns of her emotions feel genuine. Her flights of fancy and randomness and just light-hearted cheer doesn't feel like the author is forcing it into the character. It's all so natural.

The romance is obvious, but it's subtle and the anticipation is sweet. It's not burdensome or a drag like most books where you're just about to quit the book unless they finally get together. And I believe it's not burdensome because of the way the story progresses. Burgess is not afraid of putting secondary characters forth into importance.

One quibble: that my impression of British men is more stiff-upper lip rather than calling girls 'darling' and such. But hey, I can roll with it for the sake of this book. No worries.

I also appreciated how she cut out the sex scenes, but definitely had a ton of sexy scenes. It made the book just that much more classy, rather than some other romance novels that are flimsy excuses for erotica (you know what books I'm talking about). You see, her book is a little raunchy and a ton of fun, but never slutty. And that is why this book is worth reading.

The end -spoiler alert- is a little stereotypical with the happily ever after for all couples, but that's fine. It's a fun book and it deserves that kind of ending.

Three stars because I liked the book. It was a good read and I really enjoyed it. Not terribly thought provoking though (so no more than 3 stars), but a good solid romance that doesn't fall into the stupid cliches.
I recommend it for people who like romance novels that take a bit of time to get to the obvious ending.