Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
Dodger - Terry Pratchett This story follows a boy named Dodger who survives in London as a tosher, searching for lost valuables or coinage in the depths of the sewers. On a dark, rainy night, he happenstances upon two men beating a girl with beautiful blonde hair and he rescues her. Dodger then bulls through the rest of the story becoming a hero in down-to-earth and witty scenes and dialogue, all the while attempting to save the girl's life again.

I liked this book, I really did. But it wasn't amazing.
I liked it for the characters. Dodger and Simplicity are so wonderfully written, especially with his mannerisms and attitude and thinking (as it is mostly third person limited, but sometimes strays into third person omniscient). The setting is so Dickens-esque and quite beautiful to read. It is a really lovely story.

It wasn't amazing because midway through the story I realized it became more about spotting the references and allusions rather than the story, and that was annoying. While it was fun at first, almost every new character of scene alluded to past literature or a real person. All of that crammed into this story actually detracted from the story's strength and made it drag on. It also wasn't amazing because I felt as if I knew how it would end. In the middle it became a matter of getting through the pages and words to see the happy ending - there were no twists or tricks. Just scene after scene of allusions and references. While this isn't necessarily bad, because it is quite fun to find them and Pratchett makes things so witty, there are just too many.

I don't know if I would read it again, but I always appreciate Terry Pratchett's writing. Three stars because I enjoyed it and it was more than just okay - definitely not more because it dragged in the middle. Recommended for anyone who already reads Pratchett (of course) and people who like Dickens and London in that era.