Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
The Tyrant's Law - Daniel Abraham This book also follows directly after book two and further develops the arguably most important overarching storyline of the goddess eating the world. We follow Marcus and Kit as they take steps to stop her, watch Geder playing in kingly delusions with all the force of the spider goddess to back him up, sympathize with Clara as she picks herself up from the loss, and of course watch Cithrin grow into herself.

This book leaves me pleasantly surprised. The story changed some characters, showing us a few different sides. Kingdoms fell and people plotted and the overall plot was interesting. Perhaps not exactly innovative, but interesting.

Sometimes I do wonder where Abraham is going with the story - it just feels like I'm going along for the ride without a purpose in mind. I'm not sure if that's good spontaneous writing with surprises, or improper portrayal of important plot points.

I think Abraham has a difficult time balancing character development and plot. He sometimes moves the plot forward with kingdoms destroyed and court or bank intrigue being initiated, and then we lose sight of the characters. Or sometimes we go too deep into learning characters and he completely glances over descriptions of the plot (Marcus and Kit on the adventure - it just seems underwritten, but their dynamic is good).

I think yet again, this book just simply has the same problems as the first two books as well as the positive points from them as well. In some ways, it's probably an easier read than Song of Ice and Fire because it leaves out so much of the world building and plot developments. But it is an easy enjoyable read, so there is that too.

And arghh nooo the cliffhanger! I need closure on this series because it has been such an enjoyable ride so far.

Three stars again. I am surprised it hasn't declined, as most series are wont to do.
Recommended for those who have read the previous books.