Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
The King's Blood - Daniel Abraham The story continues from where it left off in the first book. The plot builds as we see the strange goddess begin stirring through pawns to eat the world. We follow each of these characters's perspectives learn about Cithrin chaffing against restriction, the emptiness in Marcus's life, the depths of Dawson's staunchness to truth and justice, and of course Geder's uncertain foray into the noble world - all as the plot grows thicker with blood and confusion.

I feel the same way about this book as I did the first. It is still very similar to George R. Martin's series (albeit an easier read). I actually found this book very strangely similar to the first books of Song of Ice and Fire (doesn't Dawson remind you of Ned??), which irritated me a little because books must innovate to be interesting, not merely imitate - and this book was written in 2012. But regardless, the positive things about the book was still there. I still loved most of the characters, the style of writing very easy to follow, etc. The only difference, perhaps, is that the plot carried the book this time, rather than the characters.

The characters have already been set, in some strange fashion. While most books attempt to show different characteristics of their main cast, this book almost depends on each character's "unchangeable" personality as the story moves forward. Abraham does nothing to show us new sides of his main characters. Despite new environments and changing situations, each of them are still very much so the character that they were in the previous book.

Thus, it had to be the plot that was enticing enough to keep me flipping the pages. And it was. I wanted to know what would happen next.

By the way, I'm still annoyed at the untapped potential of the different races. Still. In book two. I don't think I have that much hope for book three on this point. Ugh.

Again, three stars because it is a good fantasy novel. Fairly average still, but still a worthwhile read if you're in need of a fantasy pick-me-up.
Recommended for people who've read the first book obviously.