Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
The Red Chamber - Pauline A. Chen When Daiyu is orphaned and brought to the Jia's house in the Capital, it was beyond her imagination that she would soon be involved in the dangerous intrigue that happens behind beautiful smiles and welcoming facades. The reader follows the stories of three girls in this time period that leaves women with no choices of their own.

This story is a tragedy, for the most part. And I loved that about this book, that the ending was tragic instead of something happily ever after. It made the sorrows and difficult moments more real, more believable, more heart-striking.

But the thing about this book is just that I don't love any of the characters. I don't hurt when they hurt, I don't love as they love. None of them endeared themselves to me - and this book was all about the characters. But even Daiyu, the supposed main character, did not make me eager to learn more about her or to watch her grow as a person in love or in character. It was like reading a story about strangers you don't particularly care about.

It took such a long time to fall into this world, to understand customs and implicit rules.

But there were so many beautiful moments, so many poignant moments that hurt so deeply or drew such beautiful pictures to mind. I kept turning the pages, I kept on reading.

And for that, two stars. I didn't love it, but I didn't drop it and I didn't hate it.
Recommended to people who love this time period or perhaps have previous knowledge of the original book this one was based off of.