Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
The Overnight Socialite - Bridie Clark Lucy Jo is a struggling fashion designer in Manhattan trying to make it big... but even her biggest break turns into a huge disaster. Luckily Wyatt Hayes IV is there with a social experiment to turn Lucy Jo into the next rising socialite.

I picked this book up to read a bit of fluff and romance, some light-hearted fun. I ended up with a modern day take of My Fair Lady. I actually almost dropped the book around page 80 where the story mimicked the rain in Spain scene in My Fairy Lady without any innovative difference. I can't believe I actually finished this book. I told myself, go on until page 100 to drop it, but by then even though I already know the main plot points, there was just something that made me want to turn the page.

I can't say I love any of the characters or really hate any of them. I can't really say I was enthralled by the plot (because I already knew how it would end).

I did appreciate the ending, because it was different than the original.

At the end of the book, I just feel that it was a simple, easy lighthearted read. How ironic that at first Lucy Jo can only make imitations of good works; and this author does the same thing with her novel.

One and a half stars rounded down because it just felt like a directly translated modern version of My Fair Lady. I don't think I recommend it in general. But if you do like easy, brainless romance and you are not bothered by modern knockoffs, knock your self out.