Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
Masque of the Red Death - Bethany Griffin Severely disappointed by this book.

Araby Worth (my gosh, what a ridiculous name to begin with - last name Worth to hint at her apparent usefulness despite her lackluster in life?) is a suicidal poet girl who languishes in a post-apocalyptic world where the air isn't safe to breathe. She finds it hard to muster up the will to do anything except go to a club called Debauchery and immerse herself in oblivion. Her claim to fame is that she is the daughter of the man who made masks - which help filter the air.

The plot takes her to meet up with Elliot, the nephew of the villain Prince Prospero who has a tyrannical control over the entire city. She is quickly brought into the folds of a conspiracy and has to assume the guise of his fiance, all while harboring feelings for another boy. Oh, and of course she doesn't like being touched. But it's fine if it's a boy kissing her, naturally.

Cliche teen romance without any spunk from the protagonist. And what's more, boys fall in love for her being beautiful with vacant eyes. Ridiculous. No depth. Dull except for the world building.

So much potential in the world though! Ceramic masks and lovely images of a broken world with the rich draped in whale bone corsets and long flowing skirts and streaks of violet in the hair. A tyrant villain with a masquerade party. Ah what wasted potential. Poor execution, characters that I have no sympathy for, scenes that drag on, and way too many unnecessary kissing scenes. I love romance and kisses as much as the next girl, but ones that are thrown in there just to show that she's attracted to two guys, hmm not for me.

One star because I couldn't even bear to fully read the second half of the story. Read only if you feel like reading about a fairly dimwitted protagonist and can stomach a sappy romance against a beautiful backdrop.