Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
Wildwood Dancing - Juliet Marillier Three and a half stars. So close to rounding up to four stars but the ending just fell short of that magic. I love this story, I really, really love this story.
It has all the right touches of a redone fairy tale. Enough newness and enough oldness blended together.
Jena and her four sisters find a portal to a Dancing Gale every Full Moon, where they slip between being daughters of a manor in the wildwoods and dancers in the Other Realm.
She's a great protagonist. Practical enough get though the story without idiocies, but romantic enough to bring the romance in the book.

I knew the big plot twist of Gogu and Costi early in the book because fairy tales do have a certain type of format, but that doesn't make the moment of fruition any less amazing.

I was enthralled by the world created here. But I thought towards the end the book fell into tropes and cliches and a lot of false dialogue. The tasks that Sorrow had to fulfill was just ridiculous because it had no meaning behind them. I didn't like how Jena turned into a empty headed romantic later in the book.
I really didn't like the whole idea of "believing in true love" to survive. That just felt cliche and pointless except to drive across the idea of love love love.
It could have been done a lot more subtly, in my opinion.
The book couldn't seem to end itself without a lot of fairy tale cliches, and that was the problem. I would have liked to see something more realistic, or more appropriate for this book that is set in a more real world scene rather than a fairy world scene. it just didn't fit.

But overall, I am so glad I read this book. It's been a long time since I've read such a great rewrite of a fairy tale. Reminded me a little of Entwined.

Three and a half stars but rounded down to three because I love love this book, but thought it had a weak conclusion. Very much recommended for people who love fairy tales.