Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
Incarceron - Catherine Fisher The world drives this story. Discovering the facets of the world inside Incarceron and its relation to the Outside is what pushes the plot forward.

The characters are interesting, but not fully fleshed out.
There were some plot twists, but some were also expected.

I think overall, the story just didn't push the scifi of the story enough. It tried to set the Outside world in a timeless era, where Time has stopped. It tried to set Incarceron as living prison that gorges upon itself. But it doesn't go far enough. It is still too common, still too natural. I believe a lot of it stems from the diction that the author chooses. If she had chosen more obscure words, more words that were twisted from time and age, then I would not feel like this world is just a caricature of our world rather than a new one completely.

Three and a half stars rounded down because it is an engaging, interesting book that I have not seen the likes before in all my scifi readings. Rounded down because it just doesn't have the wow factor to push it to a four star. It was good, just not amazing. Recommended for people who like new worlds.