Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
Stardust - Neil Gaiman I thought I would have loved this story because I absolutely love fairy tales and the ilk, but I simply could bring myself to give it more than one star.

The characters were far too weak. I learn nothing about Tristan and the Star besides cursory information. They stumble from one action to the next with little purpose. There are some lovely moments that come full circle, such as the curse and also the jewelry. But there were too many obvious directions that the story took - including Tristan becoming the King of whatever place.

Also the two falling in love... simply unbelievable. Nothing of the interaction between the two speaks of love until they pronounce their undying love for each other. Gaiman aims for something a little like a fairy tale. But all he succeeds in doing is creating caricatures of characters and a bare bone plot that winds down into a typical happily ever after. Boring.

I feel like I wasted my time reading this. Would not even recommend skimming through this unless really bored. One star.