Lark

Pitter Patter of Little Thoughts

If I had an addiction, it would probably be books. All kinds of books. There is almost nothing better than curling up with fuzzy pillows, warm blankets, a mug of hot chocolate, and of course a book to fall into. Trying to get a full account of all the books I've read in the past - and also trying to be more diligent about documenting the books I read nowadays (and reviewing them). Thus, all current books I read will be reviewed, and all books I've realized I read in the past will not be reviewed unless I read them again. Also trying to expand my palate in books and genres. There's nothing I love better than a recommended new book in a different genre that surpasses my expectations. Feel free to leave a recommendation ^^

A Tale of Two Cities
Charles Dickens, Stephen Koch
The Rook - Daniel O'Malley Despite the high ratings on both goodreads and amazon, I found myself severely disliking this book.

The premise is not extraordinarily innovative or different, but does leave a lot of potential for the author to work with. The system and the world building was done fairly well - I did like the idea of the chess pieces and behind the scenes corporation.

Unfortunately I hated the protagonist as well as the format of the book. Myfanwy (my gosh what a ridiculous name) finds herself in the possession of a position in a secret organization and an extremely powerful ability after amnesia of her former personality. I found her "new" personality grating and more than childish rather than kick-ass, as I'm sure the author intended.

She blunders through situations without any finesse in hiding her amnesia. The reaction of other characters to her new personality is not believable except to portray Myfanwy as far superior to her old self. She's glib and puerile and sounds more like a bratty teenager than a rook in this world.

The format of the book is also annoying in that it exposes the world and background of characters through a file her old personality scribbled down to help her out. While not obtrusive at first, it quickly turns from solid information to a barrage of old memories from the old personality.

I couldn't even bear to finish the book. Got through more than halfway and then had to fling the book across the room in annoyance of wasting my time.